(Top Brand Option)
|Add To Cart
|Add To Cart
|Add To Cart
See Alternative Pricing below for savings
(Affordable Generic Alternatives for Elmiron)
Uses of Elmiron
Elmiron is used to manage bladder discomfort and pain caused by cystitis (bladder inflammation or irritation). It may help form a protective layer on the bladder wall and protect against harmful, irritating substances in the urine. It works by reducing inflammation and improving breathing. Elmiron is available in generic and branded forms. It is a weak “blood thinner” that can increase the possibility of bruising bleeding (such as bleeding from the nose gums).
90, 100, 200, 300
Warning & Dosage
Elmiron 100 mg is a safe and effective way to treat various medical conditions.
- Follow all directions on your prescription label and read through each drug guide or instruction sheet.
- Use the prescribed medicine according to package directions.
- Take Elmiron with at least a full glass of water.
- Take 1 hour before or 2 hours after a meal without eating, at least 1 hour before a meal.
- Swallow the delayed-release capsule whole and do not chew, break, or open it.
- Your doctor will inspect your progress three times to follow how well Elmiron is working and check for side effects like inflammation or dilated pupils.
- You may require blood tests and eye exams.
- If you undergo surgery, tell your doctor you use this medicine. You may need to stop temporarily.
- Protect from heat and moisture.
Interactions and Warnings of Elmiron
Pentosan Polysulfate can treat several conditions, including gastrointestinal problems, skin issues, and respiratory infections. While pentosan polysulfate sodium is considered safe when used as prescribed, there are some cautions that should be followed when taking this medication. First and foremost, it is important to talk to your doctor about any concerns you may have before starting treatment. Additionally, patients should avoid drinking alcohol while taking pentosan polysulfate sodium.
Side Effects of Elmiron
- One serious side effect of using Elmiron is eye damage. It can cause irreversible eye damage if it enters the eye. Patients should be aware of the risks and take steps to protect their eyes if they are prescribed this drug.
- If you get sick with nosebleeds, bleeding gums, blood in your urine or stool; rectal bleeding; coughing up blood; a light-headed feeling; you might pass out; or vision problems (blurred vision, trouble reading, trouble seeing in low light), get medical care immediately.
- Some common side effects may include bruising, blood in your stools, hair loss, nausea, diarrhea, upset stomach; headache; swelling, weight gain, dizziness; rash, or abnormal liver function tests.
Frequently Asked Questions About Elmiron
How Does Elmiron Work?
Elmiron is thought to work by fixing a damaged, thin, or leaky bladder surface. This bladder surface has a thin layer (glycosaminoglycans, or GAG layer), protecting it from bacteria and irritating substances in the urine.
How long can you stay on Elmiron?
Elmiron has been recommended for interstitial cystitis treatment. Healing symptoms of interstitial cystitis may not occur until 6 to 8 weeks after taking this drug. Continuing long-term treatment is necessary for long-term relief of symptoms.
How much does Elmiron cost?
You may check the prices for this medication on top of this description by clicking here.
The information above for Elmiron (Pentosan Polysulfate) was provided to DoctorSolve.com by third parties. In no way should this information substitute for the advice of a physician. Consult a doctor or qualified health care professional if you have any medical concerns.