Geodon – Treatment for bipolar disorder
Geodon is used in the treatment of acute manic or mixed episodes associated with bipolar disorder. It is believed that Geodon helps balance certain natural chemicals in your brain. It should help manic symptoms such as:
- High, edgy moods
- Fast thinking and talking
- Feeling hyper
- Trouble sleeping
- Feeling hopeless
- Very happy or very sad moods
- Feeling restless
What is Bipolar Disorder?
Bipolar disorder is an illness of severe mood swings. It is also called manic depression. If you have bipolar disorder, you may have periods of severe high or low moods. These periods may impact your day-to-day functioning.
High moods are called acute mania. They can make you feel restless, grouchy, or extremely happy. Low moods are called depression. They can make you feel very sad. Sometimes a mixed state can occur. That’s when you have acute mania and depression at the same time.
Acute mania (high mood) can make you feel as if you are on top of the world. This may lead to very reckless behavior, like:
- Problems at work
- Spending sprees
- Risky sex
- Abuse of alcohol or drugs
Sometimes if an acute manic or mixed state is severe, you may have thoughts that are unusual. You might even hear voices or see things that other people do not see or hear.
How long does Geodon take to work?
You may see some symptom improvement within a few days, but everyone responds to bipolar medicine their own way. It is important to take your medicine every day in order to experience the benefits of symptom relief.
What are the benefits and side effects of Geodon?
Generally, patients taking Geodon will experience:
- Improvement in symptoms of bipolar mania and mixed episodes
- Very few sexual problems related to the medicine
- Little effect on lipids related to the medicine
The most common side effects of Geodon are:
- Feeling very tired or sleepy
- Upset stomach
- Constipation or diarrhea
- Feeling dizzy
- Muscle movements that you are not able to control, such as tremors or shuffling
- Increased cough/runny nose
What do I need to know about Geodon?
- Take it with food and swallow the capsules whole.
- Take Geodon at the same time every day – it will be easier to remember.
- Geodon is a prescription medicine. You should always take it the way your doctor says. Do not share it with others.
- Keep it and all other medicines away from children.
- Do not drink alcohol, such as beer, wine, or hard liquor, while using Geodon.
- Do not drive a car or run a machine until you are sure that you can do these things safely.
- Tell your doctor if you become pregnant while you are taking Geodon. You should also tell your doctor if you plan to become pregnant or if you want to breastfeed your baby.